Saturday 18 October 2008

Birth Story

Little Hugo was finally born on Sunday, 7th September, 11 days overdue, weighing 3910 g (8,6 lbs).

Here is the birth story!

I think I overall had a very long labour ... hehe! I had a sweep on Friday, to help move things along and I guess that one really did work, was starting to get cramps a couple hours after it .. in the evening around 6 - 7, started having proper contractions ... lasted all night, as close as 3 - 4 minutes apart, I was very sure this was it .. but whenever I rang hosp, the fact that I was sanely talking didn't convince them I needed to go in! Lol... Well, I guess they know better, as in the morning around 8am the contractions stopped! Nada, I was like wtf ...... They picked up around 4pm and around 6pm, were again 3 mins apart ... So we decided to go to hospital, through out the whole taxi ride I was convinced they'd send me home... But my love, Bjorn, kept saying that I won't and he was right.

So arrived at hosp, had a check, was 4cm, yaaay! So they didn't kick me out. By now was 100% I wanted an epidural, but they said I had to wait, till I am a bit more dilated, so next few hours were spent getting a bit shitfaced on gas and air ... fun! Got Bjorn to try too! (He said it is like smoking weed)Now, not sure how long after, I had the epidural, worked fine at first, but then turned out it fully numbs only one side, so they kinda had to give extra strong meds and have me on my right side, to have the epidural work fully. When they had this sorted, me and bf both had naps... rested etc. But oh oooh, come morning light, I am like ... hmmm this is starting to really hurt! Turns out epidural drip machine hadn't realized it was empty!!! So full blown pain is back, and by this time, I am like 8 cm dilated, so contractions are really strong and close together! Ohhhhhhh, then I sooo sucked the gas and air for the 40 mins they got the epidural back to working ... When it did, they decided to give me oxytocin through drip to help dilate to 10 cm ... took a couple of hours I think, not sure ... Then when I was, they monitored baby and decided I can push him out as he has finally moved into correct position and though is a tiny bit distressed, the pushing can go on. By this time the epidural had started to wear off a bit, but I was really glad! I had more control over my legs and belly muscles, I found that lifting my butt up helped awesomly! I pushed the boy out in 25 minutes!

Hugo was born at 1 39 pm, cord was around neck, but loosely, he was put on my tummy, we had meet and greet and even tried boobie, while they stitched up one 2nd degree tear (have a few superficial grazes as well). Daddy had a first cuddle with son as well, awesome cute!!! Then we got cleaned up and taken to maternity ward. His Apgar was a great 9/10. Yay!

Here is Hugo with daddy soon after being born:

Got home on Tuesday, as docs were a bit worried that Hugo on occasion breathed a bit fast, but all turned out ok.

I suppose one might say my labour was a bit traumatic, but even during and more so after it all, I can totally say I'd do it again ... I had imagined it would be a lot more worse than this ... same goes for aftermath ... though I am sore in places I didn't know I had, I still thought before all this that it wou ld be a lot worse!

So .. there will deff be more babies for me!

No comments: